Thursday 19 April 2012

Gaius Julius Caesar the King of Rome

Colosseum, Rome

Hello my beloved readers, I will move on to my next entry today as for today I want to share about Julius Caesar. I know everyone familiar with the name of Julius Caesar and also his history at Rome.

          It quite interesting learning about Julius Caesar during Critical Literacy class because my lecturers, Mr Mark do some attractive activities. Do you guys know Toga? It is the official wear of the Rome’s at that time and we try to wear exactly just like them by using our blanket Ha ha.



Alright, let me brief a bit about Julius Caesar:
  • ·        Gaius Julius Caesar (full name) was a Roman general and statesman and a distinguished writer of Latin prose. He played a critical role in the gradual transformation of the Roman Republic into the Roman Empire.

  • ·        Caesar's conquest of Gaul, completed by 51 BC, extended Rome's territory to the English Channel and the Rhine. Caesar became the first Roman general to cross both when he built a bridge across the Rhine and conducted the first invasion of Britain.

  • ·        He began extensive reforms of Roman society and government by centralised the bureaucracy of the Republic and was eventually proclaimed "dictator in perpetuity".

  • ·        Much of Caesar's life is known from his own accounts of his military campaigns, and other contemporary sources, mainly the letters and speeches of Cicero and the historical writings of Sallust.


The Assassination of Julius Caesar



·       A conspiracy by approximately 60 Roman senators who called themselves Liberators. Led by Gaius Cassius Longinus and Marcus Junius Brutus, they stabbed Julius Caesar to death in the Theatre of Pompey on the Ides of March (March 15).

·     Caesar was the dictator of the Roman Republic at the time, having recently been declared dictator perpetuo by the Senate and this declaration made several senators fear that Caesar want to overthrow the Senate in favour of tyranny.

·     The assassination led to the Liberators' civil war and, ultimately, to the Principate period of the Roman Empire.


Theater of Pompey

Marcus Brutus


After the roman senators and Brutus kill Julius Caesar, Brutus facing with the Rome people and giving his speech to persuade:

Romans, countrymen, and lovers! Hear me for my
cause, and be silent, that you may hear: believe me
for mine honour, and have respect to mine honour, that
you may believe: censure me in your wisdom, and
awake your senses, that you may the better judge.
If there be any in this assembly, any dear friend of
Caesar's, to him I say, that Brutus' love to Caesar

was no less than his. If then that friend demand
why Brutus rose against Caesar,this is my answer

Not that I loved Caesar less, but that I loved
Rome more.
Had you rather Caesar were living and
die all slaves, than that Caesar were dead, to live
all free men? As Caesar loved me, I weep for him;
as he was fortunate, I rejoice at it; as he was
valiant, I honour him: but, as he was ambitious, I
slew him. There is tears for his love; joy for his
fortune; honour for his valour; and death for his
ambition. Who is here so base that would be a
bondman? If any, speak; for him have I offended.
Who is here so rude that would not be a Roman? If
any, speak; for him have I offended. Who is here so
vile that will not love his country? If any, speak;
for him have I offended. I pause for a reply.
ALL
None, Brutus, None
BRUTUS
Then none have I offended. I have done no more to
Caesar than you shall do to Brutus. The question of
His death is enrolled in the capitol; his glory not
Extenuated, wherein he was worthy, nor his offences
Enforced, for which he suffered death


 And then Antony enters with Caesar’s body:

Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears;
I come to bury Caesar, not to praise him.
The evil that men do lives after them;
The good is oft interred with their bones;
So let it be with Caesar. The noble Brutus
Hath told you Caesar was ambitious:
If it were so, it was a grievous fault,
And grievously hath Caesar answer'd it.
Here, under leave of Brutus and the rest -
For Brutus is an honourable man;
So are they all, all honourable men -
Come I to speak in Caesar's funeral.
He was my friend, faithful and just to me:
But Brutus says he was ambitious;
And Brutus is an honourable man.
He hath brought many captives home to Rome
Whose ransoms did the general coffers fill:
Did this in Caesar seem ambitious?
When that the poor have cried, Caesar hath wept:
Ambition should be made of sterner stuff:
Yet Brutus says he was ambitious;
And Brutus is an honourable man.
You all did see that on the Lupercal
I thrice presented him a kingly crown,
Which he did thrice refuse: was this ambition?
Yet Brutus says he was ambitious;
And, sure, he is an honourable man.
I speak not to disprove what Brutus spoke,
But here I am to speak what I do know.
You all did love him once, not without cause:
What cause withholds you then, to mourn for him?
O judgment! thou art fled to brutish beasts,
And men have lost their reason. Bear with me;
My heart is in the coffin there with Caesar,
And I must pause till it come back to me.


Anthony and Brutus trying to persuade the people by the statement from Brutus state that Julius Caesar is dictator and ambitious but Anthony said Julius Caesar is not that kind of King even he rejected to be the king for thrice. What do you think is reliable with Julius Caesar characteristic? Somehow, they make Rome as one of the greatest history in planet.



No comments:

Post a Comment